Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Guest Book Make Over

I got the idea for this post from Stephanie who's been participating in the blog recently. So thanks Steph!

I've never entertained the idea of a white satin book lined with lace and pearls as a signature collector at a wedding. It's more like work for your guests to have to stand in line to sign their names as if proving they attended a high school extra credit event. The books always end up in a closet somewhere never to be looked at again.

So when I was married, I decided the guest book needed a make-over. I wanted it to be something I would enjoy looking at from time-to-time, that could be a decorative piece in my home as well as a fun memory of those who shared our day. But it also had to be something my guests wouldn't find annoying.

My solution: I designed a photo book that consisted of one of our engagement photos on the left page and a place to write well wishes on the right page! I used Blurb.com to create my book. I downloaded the program from their site, uploaded my photos from my computer, and then designed my book using their super easy tools. When it was finished I ordered the book online for $30 and it arrived in a few short days. I love this book because it was a fun way to display our favorite photos from our engagement for our guests to see. But more importantly my husband and I got a beautiful collection of our photos with wonderful notes and signatures from those who not only shared our big day with us but those who have shaped our lives growing up and encouraged our relationship as husband and wife. Our book sits on our coffee table for friends and family to enjoy and to remind us how lucky we are.













Some Other Ideas For Your "Guest Book"
• blurb.com photo book
• create a scrapbook with photos of the couple
• frame your favorite image with large white matting and leave a black marker for guests to sign it.
• Leave a blank album, a Polaroid camera, and a black marker on a table. Assign someone to snap a photo of guests as they arrive and allow them to sign their names or write a note on the photo with a black marker. Then stick the photo in an album for the bride and groom to remember.
• Set up a video camera and let guests tape special messages and warm wishes. That will be fun to watch later!

Have another idea? Share them with me!

2 comments:

StephSeiler said...

I love your spin on the guest book! I agree that it just seems a little silly to have your guests sign their names and a lot of times their addresses, as if you did not spend weeks gathering them all for the invites.

Your guest book gives me a really wonderful gift idea for my mother. I want to use the site that you mentioned and create a memory book of pictures and captions for my mom. I am thinking of calling it "Our Journey as Mother and Daughter" I am thinking of finding pictures from birth until now and then write captions on some of the pages as a great memory token to give to my mother at the rehearsal dinner. I really think that this is a gift that she will treasure for a life time and a special way to say Thank You for throwing me what I am sure will be a wonderful wedding!

Thanks for the great inspiration :)

Stephanie

Soon 2 b Mrs. Ditmyer said...

I absoulutely love this idea!! It's a fun idea that seems easy to do. I will definitely visit Blurb.com to create my guest book. Looking back at all the notes will definitely be more meaningful than just looking at who attended our wedding. It will reflect and remind us of all the love and support we have from our friends and family. Great idea:)

Korena